It’s hard to go forward when you lack direction. Perhaps you have goals, a plan, and action steps you are carrying out – yet you are standing still. Little progress. So many hours of hard, creative work isn’t helping. All this seems to indicate you are currently without direction. What should you do?
First, pause and pray. Ask God for the following things:
- A path in front of you.
- Redirection, if needed.
- His anointing over your work.
- A “check” if you need to do something differently.
Now pause and listen. Be open. See if God gives you a new direction, or shows you things to change. Listen for anything new and fresh. Sometimes the discomfort of being unsure helps you find a new direction. Being open helps you see, hear, consider, and research things you may not have before.
STAY THE COURSE
Until you hear something new from the Lord, until He guides you in a different direction, until He brings people and circumstances into your life to alter your course, “stay the course.”
- Keep doing what you have been. The temptation is to think you aren’t doing anything worthwhile, despite all your efforts.
- Believe God is laying “track” ahead of your steps. He is directing in ways you can’t see.
- Work to creatively keep developing. This is part of active waiting!
- Increase helpful resources.
- Build momentum.
- Form a library of practical ideas.
- Don’t underestimate the value of your increasing experience.
- Keep track of your steps even if you feel you are spinning your wheels. Some of the world’s greatest inventions came from this very process.
- Accept that God’s lead may be – “No change or additions. Stay the course.”
AS YOU WAIT, IDENTIFY AND MAXIMIZE VALUE FROM YOUR PREVIOUS DIRECTION
- Start a bullet list of things you were clear on before. Listing specific value of your work gives you an encouragement boost. It also renews clarification in your thoughts of your purpose and goals.
- Position yourself to continue in these values. In a “dead or waiting season,” you can still make progress:
You are preparing ahead of time. This builds a plethora of resources that can be applied as soon as God shows you a new direction.
RESOLVE TO THINK POSITIVE, NOT NEGATIVE
- Ignore all discouraging thoughts.
- Disregard thoughts that your work doesn’t matter or is less quality than other ventures.
- In other words, current implementation of resources is NOT the issue at this point.
- Take pride in the work you are blindly pumping out for God’s glory.
- Remain professional in your attitude, demeanor, and communications in all arenas:
- General public.
- Your followers, investors, tribe, or consumer group.
- Family. Never make them suffer for the uncomfortable season you are in.
- All possible partners. Don’t be discouraged at a “no.”
HOW TO CAPITALIZE ON “INVISIBLE RETURNS” AS YOU WAIT ON THE LORD
You might be surprised to realize the very things you do by faith during this awkward season are forming a foundation under the next season. You are building thrust you can’t see yet. Keep working –
God is forging into future territory ahead of you. Hold steady as you partner with God. He will guide you.
SIGN UP on my email list to receive a FREE ebook on how to get into God’s Word with your super busy life. Also, you will receive notice of blog posts on managing your life.
Additional articles to encourage you:
Share on Social Media: